Tuesday 12 March 2013

A Lot of, Much, Many with Countable and Uncountable Nouns


A lot of, much and many are used to express an undefined quantity.


We use a lot of with countable and uncountable nouns. It is used in affirmative sentences, although it is possible to use it in negative and interrogative sentences.

Much and many are used in negative and interrogative sentences. They are rarely used in affirmative sentences.

  • Much is used with uncountable nouns (for example: much water).
  • Many is used with countable nouns (for example: many books).

Affirmative
Negative
Interrogative
I eat a lot of apples.
I don't eat a lot of apples.
Do you eat a lot of apples?
I drink a lot of water.   
I don't drink a lot of water.
Do you drink a lot of water?
I eat many apples.
I don't eat many apples.
Do you eat many apples?
I drink much water.
I don't drink much water.
Do you drink much water?


Activities: